U.S. Visa Options for the International Dentist

AlyssaObtaining an American visa for an international dentist may seem overwhelming. The article “US Visa for Foreign Dentist” from visapro.com helps to build a clear pathway for obtaining an American visa for the international dentist. There are a few different approaches an international dentist can take to become an American trained dentist. For those who are citizens of Mexico or Canada, the TN Visa is the path to go. For those who are not a citizen of Mexico or Canada, the H1B visa for dentists has a few eligibility requirements, and the green card for dentists will allow international dentists to temporarily live and work in the United States.

The International Dentist Guide to Obtaining a Visa

For the TN Visa, an international dentist must be a citizen from Mexico or Canada. After they have proven this;

a Canadian or Mexican national dentist must possess and must be able to document that he or she has been awarded a D.D.S., D.M.D., Doctor en Odontologia or Doctor en Cirugia Dental or a state/provincial license in dentistry. This means that showing proof of attainment of the professional degree in dentistry from the U.S., Canada or Mexico OR licensure in a U.S. or Mexican state or Canadian province is sufficient

He or she must also have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer in a position that requires someone in that professional capacity.

For the H1B Visa, there are four important conditions that must be satisfied:

1) The foreign national dentist must possess at least a bachelor’s degree in dentistry or its equivalent.  In the U.S., dental graduates obtain a post-graduate degree in dentistry, the DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery). Foreign national dentists, with the exception of some Canadians, who do not possess a U.S. dental degree, must obtain an evaluation from a credentialing agency certifying that the foreign degree they have received is substantially equivalent to an American university degree in dentistry.

2) The foreign national dentist must take and pass the National Board Dental Examination (NBDE).  This is a requirement for all U.S. and foreign educated dentists.

3) The foreign national must be licensed in the state where he or she intends to be employed or be eligible for licensure.

4) The employer must submit and receive a certified Labor Condition Application (LCA) from the Department of Labor.

The dentist green card allows an international dentist to live and work within the United States temporarily. For the international dentist, there are two main types of green cards that will mainly apply. The EB-2, and EB-3 will be the majority of green cards that are handed out to international dentists:

EB-2 Green Card Category: This category is reserved for foreign national professionals holding Advanced Degrees (generally meaning a degree beyond a four-year bachelor’s or a bachelor’s degree + five years of experience) or for Individuals with Exceptional Ability in the arts, sciences, or business.

EB-3 Green Card Category: This category is reserved for foreign national professionals and skilled workers. Professional means a person whose job requires at least a U.S. baccalaureate degree or a foreign equivalent and who is a member of a profession. Dentists fall under the definition of ‘Professional’.

Acquiring an American visa is a difficult process in itself. “US Visa for Foreign Dentist” is an article that is well written for the international dentist trying to obtain an American visa. It is an extremely difficult process, but it is well worth it as you can be trained by some of the best dentistry schools in the world.



  1. Ankita Aggarwal September 18, 2017 at 7:43 pm - Reply


    I am a citizen of India. I completed PhD in Microbiology and Immunology in US. Now pursuing DDS. If I get employed as an assistant professor in a dental school, will I be eligible for EB1 category (After H1B ofcourse)? Can university file green card under EB-1 category. Thanks.

  2. Dale Lollar June 12, 2017 at 12:56 pm - Reply

    Hi Please email or call me 405-796-8333 I can help Dale

    • josefina mendez garcia August 23, 2017 at 1:20 pm - Reply

      Dr Josefina Mendez, I have the same question about a visa H1B, but I reside in California, would you be able to help?

  3. Dr Arteaga January 8, 2017 at 7:45 am - Reply

    Does anybody knows where can I search for a H1b visa job? I’m a Dentist, I’m from Phoenix, where I’m currently living. I became a Dentist in Mexico.

Leave a Reply

Get Our Free Course . . .

Getting into Advanced Standing Programs

A 10 Day Email Course that Will Give You the Insights You Need to Become a US Dental Student
Sign Up
Give it a try, you can unsubscribe anytime.