Ready to set-up a home lab for creating the perfect starter bench test kit to master the Bench Test? Bench test practice takes time, and the things you practice is yours forever, so Dr. Alyssa recommends applicants start their preparation as early as possible. How else will you get ahead? Setting a home-lab can sound daunting, so we’ve put together a list to give you a jump for creating the perfect starter bench test kit. You’ll need more things as you go, but with the material below you’ll get started, and you can get more things as the need comes up. We do not sell anything ourselves, but included links to the items for your convenience.
Components for creating the Perfect Starter Bench Test Kit
- Air compressor
- Highly recommend getting a silent compressor, even they are noisy.
- No need for a higher-end compressor made for dentistry as we’re practicing on typodonts
- Dental Turbine Unit
- This will allow for the air from the compressor to power the handpiece.
- Want help hooking things up?: Check out our Dental Turbine Unit to Compressor Connection Guide
Recommended Combo: Air Compress + Dental Turbine Unit
- High-speed Handpiece (Buy on eBay)
- Huge range of quality and price.
- The cheaper is expected to break down, but the starting price-point for a handpiece that’s built to last longer is about $500. This cost is much higher than purchasing several of the lower end ones.
- You’ll likely not use the handpiece you purchase at this time after you start school, due to school policies.
- If you have a 2 hole from your country I’d recommend purchasing a 4 hole over getting a converter. 4 hole handpieces are much smoother, it’s hard to do good preps with 2 hole handpieces
- Turbine to compressor connector
- Visit your local hardware store with the tubing from the turbine unit. The compressor side needs a 1/4″ quick-release. Read more
- Extra Teeth
- Typodont Mounting Pole (Buy on eBay)
- Mouth Mirror
- Explorer / Probe (Buy on eBay)
- You could get a probe and explorer separately if you want, but this serves both purposes
- Mesial Margin Trimmer
- Distal Margin Trimmer
- Amalgam Capsules (Buy on eBay)
- Required for practicing amalgam restorations
- Essential for activating amalgam capsules to practice amalgam restorations
*If you find a link that doesn’t work, please let us know by leaving a comment below so we can fix it.